How to Submit a Report
HOTLINE: 888-329-6390 or www.ethicspoint.com (external link)
The Office of the City Auditor is committed to ensuring transparency, accountability and integrity in Oakland's Administrative Offices. The Fraud, Waste + Abuse Prevention Program (FW&A) is one of the mechanisms to achieve these objectives. The Office of the City Auditor operates a confidential hotline for City of Oakland employees, contractors, citizens and other interested parties to report fraud, waste and abuse which affects City resources. The City has contracted with an independent company (EthicsPoint) whose trained intake specialists will receive all calls and web-based reports.
To make the most effective use of this program by Oakland City residents and employees, the Auditor's Office would like to inform you that your name and contact information can remain completely anonymous in the event that you file a report.
Fraud is defined as the intentional misappropriation of City assets by an act including, but not limited to, theft, embezzlement or misrepresentation. Fraud can be external or internal, in that it can be perpetrated by contractors or vendors, as well as by other City departments and employees. Examples of fraud include:
- Submitting fictitious invoices for personal goods and services;
- Theft of City property, such as inventory or supplies;
- Falsification of records, such as time cards, travel or other expense;
- Falsely reporting expenses for reimbursement;
- Stealing a check the City issued to another payee;
- Taking or "skimming" cash paid for City services, such as parking, permits or fines;
- Computer fraud or information theft;
- Utilizing City property for personal use;
- Accepting a bribe, kickback or illegal gratuity;
- Obtaining a benefit or service from the City for which a person, organization or department did not qualify for;
- Recording fictitious sales;
- Auditing or accounting irregularities;
What Not To Report
- Complaints regarding discrimination - please contact the Equal Opportunity Program;
- Employee grievance - please contact Employee Relations;
- City campaign and lobbying violations - please contact the Public Ethics Commission;
- Conflict of Interest issues -please contact the Public Ethics Commission;
- Workmen's Compensation Fraud - please call 866-FRAUD-42 (866-372-8342);
- Welfare fraud - please call 800-349-9970; and
- Medi-Cal Fraud - please call 800-722-0432.
The Office of the City Auditor will conduct a thorough analysis of each complaint and will then take the most appropriate action. At each step of the process, you can be assured that your confidentiality will be protected. In order to protect the confidential reporting process, updates of actions will not be provided. Discussion of your complaint with others, including family, friends and co-workers, may jeopardize your confidentiality.
For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (Whistleblower Program FAQ)