Submit a Complaint
We are committed to ensuring transparency, accountability, and integrity in the City of Oakland. The Whistleblower Program is one tool used to help achieve these objectives. Use the confidential hotline to report complaints of fraud, waste, and abuse. The hotline is available 24/7 to city employees, contractors, vendors, and residents.
There is a City Ordinance protecting City employees that submit complaints from retaliatory acts.
How to submit a complaint
Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Detailed information about of the fraud, waste, or abuse you are reporting – who, what, when, where, and how
- Be as descriptive as possible – dates, names, location, amounts and witnesses
- Provide documentation to substantiate your complaint
You will be asked to classify your complaint into one of the following categories:
- Accounting and Auditing Matters
- Confidentiality and Misappropriation
- Data Privacy
- Disclosure of Confidential Information
- Environmental Protection, Health, or Safety Law
- Falsification of Contracts, Reports, or Records
- Hiring Irregularities
- Improper Supplier or Contractor Activity
- Misconduct or Inappropriate Behavior
- Misuse of Assets or Services
- Time Abuse
- Unauthorized/Fraudulent use of Company Facilities and Equipment
- Unsafe Working Conditions
- Violation of Policy
What happens after you submit your complaint
- You will be assigned a unique code called a Report Key and a password. Be sure to write them down and keep them in a safe place.
- Your report is immediately sent to the City Auditor’s Office where we will review the complaint.
- After 5-6 business days, please come back to this page, click on Follow-up on Report, and check for feedback or questions from the City Auditor.
- Once all questions have been addressed, we will take appropriate action on the complaint; however, to ensure the confidentiality in the reporting process, updates of actions and results will not be provided.
Don’t want anyone to know you filed a complaint? You can choose to make your name and contact information anonymous.
Be assured that at every step of this process your confidentiality will be protected. If you want to keep your complaint confidential, please do not discuss it with others, including family, friends and coworkers, as it may jeopardize your confidentiality.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter